Multiple characters in the same fed
OK, now that the masturbatory stuff is over, we can get on to the real topics. If you had a chance to read the prior ones, you know that I run both BigDog and Richard Farnswirth in A1E. One of the inevitable things that always happens when you are a handler doing multiple characters is that a card will come along where one of them has a really important match while the other one is buried deep on the card in a relatively meaningless one.
As most people know, I'm on the A1E booking committee, and the BC generally casts their votes in "public" on our site, including their reasoning for voting the way they did. A few shows ago, Bloody New Year to be exact, Farnswirth had a World Title match against Beast while BigDog was involved in a Tag Team Title match with Dan Ryan against Anarchy Inc.
In a couple of the comments, there were things said like "BigDog wasn't really himself, but that was understandable because Phil was focusing so much on Farnsy in the main event".
This is an absolute pet peeve of mine. From the day I created Farnsy and entered him in A1E, I've made it a point to never short change either of them while concentrating on the other. I've seen it happen with other handlers, and it always bugs me. I make every effort to ensure that anyone gaining a victory over either one of my characters has absolutely earned it.
I take great pride that a win over BigDog or Farnswirth means something. I relish the fact that people take their best shots at me. I couldn't tell you the number of times I saw a match assignments thread go up and I thought ... hmmm, my opponent hasn't exactly been on a roll lately. But my very next thought is, make sure it stays that way.
Time and time again, guys (or girls) who have been less than their best for some amount of time before facing me still manage to come up with some of their best stuff when I'm across the proverbial ring from them. I take it as a great sign of respect, and the very last thing I will ever do is disrespect them by not giving that match the attention it deserves.
If you feel that BigDog was a little off in a match, then he was simply a little off. It will never be because I put more energy into Farnswirth that week.

2 Comments:
It's a similar pet peeve of mine as well. I never understand why people think they can say what someone else was thinking during an RP period.
If the match is to be RP based only, it should only be about which RP was better, period. Not, who is usually good but isn't as good today. Not, who usually sucks and today elevated themselves to mediocre. Just, who was better this week.
In total agreeance with both of you guys here. As I used to be on the BC, I don't know how many times people lost a match because they weren't "themselves" in a particular RP period. I always try to look at each match objectively with no prior knowledge of the characters unless of course we're running an angle, which we do a lot in UCW.
Post a Comment
<< Home