Shelf Life of a Character
This is something of a follow-up to a column Dave Brunk wrote a month or so ago as well as a topic over at ENN regarding what keeps people going year after year. When is it time to hang it up for a particular character?
I'm not ready to retire either of my guys right now, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't at least considered that BigDog's days might be coming to an end. I have done nearly everything with him that I ever wanted to do. He's been at the top of the card in A1E for what, 4 years or so now? He's the longest reigning World Champ ever (with a respectful nod to Housefly's reign back when we did shows every week). At this point, what else is it that I want to accomplish with him?
At this point, what probably has kept BigDog around is that he's absolutely no effort to roleplay for. As I said in one of my earlier entries, BigDog is me. It's my personality completely. That's why he's the ultimate babyface. As Brunk will tell you, I'm the nicest guy you'll ever run into, and I'll defend anybody that needs defending.
Right now, BigDog essentially plays the veteran role on the card. He's the one putting other guys over. The tag team with Dan Ryan has been fun. I'm hoping that we can continue to evolve and get better as a team, and I'm definitely looking forward to a huge blowoff with Anarchy Inc. and then a new program with The Best Friends, Chip Friendly and Slambo the Clown. So, by no stretch is he absolutely done.
But, when is that right time?
I've seen guys retire from the hobby. Guys like Euclid who had real life get in the way, and they just weren't able to continue at all. That happens, and it's a shame to lose guys as talented as he was. But that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about continuing to play the game, but deciding that one of your characters is ready to go on the shelf.
Jarret decided that Gladiator had run his course a few years ago. Actually, he thought that a couple years before that and nearly killed him off completely when we did the angle with the neck injury. I'm glad he ultimately decided to keep him around because the Empire angle was a lot of fun, and the BigDog/Gladiator feud was a hot one. On top of that, he made a damn good world champion.
But eventually, he did decide that enough was enough, and Gladiator was retired after a loser-leaves-town match with Housefly. How do other people make that call?
Dan West gave up playing Prisoner 187 and actually handed him off to somebody else to play. Roger has retired more characters than most people ever create. Many of those were shortlived, but one or two were fairly established.
Or maybe it's not retirement that BigDog needs, but just a change of scenery. Maybe he's the one I should have taken over to EPW instead of Farnswirth. Maybe playing off a new group of opponents would re-light that fire that I used to have for him.
Or maybe it's all just a big cyclical thing. Right now, Farnswirth is so much fun to play. Whether it's as a single in A1E looking to get the World Title back, or it's as a tag team with the Chipper over in EPW, he's just a blast to promo for week in and week out.
Basically, this was just one long ramble about some things that have been on my mind lately. I'd like to hear from some other people on the thought process they've gone through when they decided to retire a character.
Of course, retirements in efedding are no different than the WWE. Nothing is forever. Even if I did put BigDog on the shelf for a while, there's no telling if I could keep him there or not.

2 Comments:
Another good topic.
I've run...a lot of characters. Let's see...
Freakfish
MrAmazing!
El Tremendo
WhiteNoise
Slambo The Clown
Atkins
Pharaoh
I may be forgetting someone, but I don't think so. All characters I love or loved and am very proud of the work I have done with them. However, there has come a time with all of them that it just stopped being fun.
With Freakfish I just didn't like the direction he was taking after MBE finished up and my ego really couldn't handle a character that I thought of as elite being a midcarder. I have no idea if he'll ever come back. Sometimes I think about bringing him out of mothballs but other times I don't know where else I would go with him and like thinking of him living somewhere quietly, rich and lazy with no further need for the spotlight. (Plus I think if I were to bring him back people would start to realize how similar he and MrA! can be.)
MrA! was shelved to focus on winning the MBE Title with FF and he worked out so well as an MBE authority figure that I thought he was done for good. However, having only found success in A1E with someone else's creation (Dan West's Slambo) I decided to give it one more try with one of my guys. I debated between FF and MrA! and found that I missed my original character a little more and decided to give it a go with him. So far so good.
El Tremendo was the most fun character I have ever played (although Slambo and MrA! are a blast too), but without Team T around something was missing. I tried to take him from a comedy act to a respected main eventer in MBE's final days and was very close to making it work (I think) when we closed up shop and I could never really find a groove for him in the aftermath. I miss playing him and don't rule out a comeback when he needs some fast cash to pay the rent at CondoT, but right now I'm just not feeling the inspiration for him.
There was never anything more gratifying for me than winning a match as WhiteNoise. The fact that he is so different from every other character I have ever read and that he never actually promos per se makes him a sentimental favorite for me. He came about as an experiment to see if I could find success in a totally different style and he worked which was great. That said, he's really really really really fucking hard to write and so he doesn't come around much anymore.
Atkins and Pharaoh were very similar characters. I was always very proud of Pharaoh because it was another experiment promoing as someone I had absolutely nothing in common with and I found some success with him, but ultimately I was at a point where my ego was too easily bruised and when he hit what I perceived to be a glass cieling in A1E I just quit with him rather than persevering. These days I like to think of him back in jail, never again mentioned on A1E TV after committing some heinous crime, but preparing for a release date sooner or later...
As far as Atkins is concerned, I toy with ways of bringing him back from time to time, but I'm not really sure there is enough about him to make him stand out from the pack and ultimately that is what I want more than anything for my characters.
Neither of my characters have really been around long enough to speak on this subject, so I haven't had any comments. Until now...
Phil, you're really starting to Brunk this thing. Let's get a new post. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home