Monday, May 01, 2006

Frustrating

And so, we've reached the end of another A1E promo period. For those who follow A1E, I'm sure you noticed that one of our matches featured a no show by one half of the match. This blog is not directed at any of that specifically. I only mention it because it's what sparked this thought in my head.

Anybody else find it particularly frustrating when you see a match on the card announcement and think "Man, that could really be cool!", but then it never quite comes off like that?

Most times, this comes about as a result of life interfering. One side or the other has an extraordinarily busy week away from efedding that simply robs them of the opportunity to promo the way they wanted to.

Luckily, this is most often a short-term problem. Work or home life or whatever just flares up for a short time, and it only costs us the one match. That's still frustrating, but at least I can get over it pretty quickly and still get the match that I wanted to see in the coming weeks.

In this case, Promo and AJ versus Irishred and James Irish isn't a critical match in the build for our coming pay-per-view, but I was still looking forward to it. I was looking forward to seeing the interaction between James and Red in their angle as somewhat "forced" partners. And I was also looking forward to seeing Promo and AJ further their return and continue making the kind of impact I know that they can make.

What becomes even more frustrating is when it's not so short-term. Probably my biggest disappointment in the entire five-plus years I've been doing this was when Euclid was forced to retire and leave the game.

It's no secret that I'm a huge Euclid mark. I was fortunate enough to have done more than one long-term angle with him, and frankly he was brilliant about it. He had a great mind for plotting out a story, and he was equally good at fleshing it out in his writing.

A relatively close second to that is Beast's recent hiatus. Outside of Roger, nobody has done more for A1E than Jarret. He puts a ton of effort into the booking committee, the website, the entire machine that makes A1E work. He had just won the A1E World Heavyweight Title. No reason to expect he couldn't have taken another run at JA if he wanted it.

The fact that we've been robbed of Beast's presence in our fed is truly disappointing. Sure, we all understand why it had to be done, and nobody is blaming anybody for it. But deep down inside, there's that part of me that just goes "Damn! That sucks!"

Only in my warped little mind does the fed of my dreams exist. That fed where guys like Euclid, Beast, Mr. Hyde, Snake, etc. still ply their trade at the top of their game. In this fed, feuds over even the lower-tier titles are the stuff that MOTW's are made of. There is no shortage of depth in the tag division.

Oh, what a beautiful world that would be!

4 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Josh Ray said...

Another good blog post. Beast being gone just seems wrong to me...

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger TH said...

Yeah, that sucks, but like you said, you can't control it sometimes. And a lot of times, it contributes to different people rising up and taking charge.

For example, if Hyde was able to have stuck around, who knows how many times Dog and Hyde would have traded the World Championship, if at all. We don't know that, and I think we were robbed of a plenty good feud. However, because Hyde wasn't able to stick around, we got a totally different ascension from Dog, and we can all agree it was pretty good ;)

But in a perfect world... all hte greats would be around and spread around all different kinds of feds. Oh yeah, and we'd be getting paid for this.

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My absence during the recent A1E show was due to the passing of my Grandmother and some other family matters that had to be taken care of. I posted this somewhere, but I should have taken time to e-mail the BC about the issue.

Brian

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger BigDaddy said...

I wasn't trying to point any fingers at you, Brian. I had heard about your grandmother. Shane posted it on the BC board.

I was just trying to use the situation as an example.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home